Christianity --Youth Issues/land spirits, ancestors, indigenous religion

Hi. I'm a first-generation Asatruar. If you don't know what that is, its the indigenous, pre-Christian Northern European belief system. My mum raised me in it. Recently, I've become fascinated by Jesus and Christianity and decided to start following it. However, even though I know longer honor the gods, I still honor the land spirits and my ancestors by giving them offerings. I very much enjoy this practice, it grounds me to the Earth and to my heritage. But I also like Jesus's teachings. My stepmother, who introduced me to Christianity, says I can't practice both. Why can't I?

Hi Rose,

Thank you for this great question.  I am very glad you are interested in Jesus even though you were not raised Christian.  My advice to you is to keep reading your Bible, and pray to Jesus for direction.  I do agree that you may need to make a choice at some point.  Consider Jesus' very words:

John 14:6 (AV)
6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

It would seem that Jesus is claiming exclusive possession of truth and eternal life... He did not say he was a part of truth or a valid option.  He said He was The Truth.  This Easter, as you continue your journey, try to get to a Bible preaching church and ask for guidance.  I believe that God will help you as you seek Him.

I hope that this helps you.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity --Youth Issues

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God- Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a literal, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry 20+ years. During that time I served as a youth pastor, christian counselor, assistant pastor, church planter, and a senior pastor.

Revival Baptist Chronicles
The Fundamental Baptist Voice

BS in Bible, from Baptist Bible College in CLarks Summit PA