Christianity --Youth Issues/Having a relationship with God

How does one have a relationship with God? In the religion I was born in one related to the gods/spirits/ancestors, etc. through offerings, but I realize Christians don't give offerings. Also, is God close to us or distant? Sometimes when I pray to God I try to make that connection, but sometimes I feel closer to the gods of my ancestors or to the spirits of my land. Yet, I realize Jesus taught a higher morality than what I see in my ancestral path and I want to follow him, but I can't seem to get close to God. How can I get closer to Him?

Hi Rose! I am so glad to find your query in my inbox today. You have been on my mind since our last dialogue, and I am very happy to see you seeking for the truth.

Rose, to come to know God, we first come to know Jesus, as the Son of God. For Jesus said, clearly,
John 14: 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
 7  If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.  

We come to know Jesus through reading the four Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. As we read, what Jesus said, and what He did, it is like a biography of the writer. This is the start of a wonderful journey Rose.

As one reads there will be much they don't understand, and that is how it is at the start. The things that one can grasp and understand what is being said, is like Milk to a baby. And as the baby grows, they will get more and more out of that which they read.

So that is where to start Rose. Spend some time reading the four gospels, and we can discuss things as they come up.

Is He close or distant?  Here is what He says....
Acts 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
 28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his creation.

Rose, in spiritual matters one cannot go by feelings, or emotions, but it is a walk of faith. As we read the Gospels, we are asked, if we believe what it is saying, and truly believe in our hearts the story of Jesus' life, death, and resurrection, then God gives us the reality of our belief by giving us the faith to know its truth.
<b> Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;
 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.
 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Now there is the simplicity of it all Rose. It isn't what we can do to make God love us, He loves us unconditionally.  We can't do anything to make Him love us more. And we can't do anything to make Him love us less! Start by reading your bible, and asking Him to make it LIFE to you, as you do.

And you have me here for you, if you need to ask anything about what you read.

You are being drawn by the Spirit of God, to find Him, through coming to Know His son jesus Rose. So what He has initiated with you, HE will bring you into that relationship with the Living Christ.

Sincerely In Christ Jesus.

Mr Burns.

Christianity --Youth Issues

L E Burns Apostle of Jesus

From Gods mouth to your ears. If you want the truth, and not just someone to agree with you, you've come to the right place.. "The wounds of a friend are better than the kisses of an enemy!"

Having an ongoing, ever increasing, intimate relationship with the One who Knows it all....

Master of Theology. Bachelor of Arts. Friends with the Teacher.