Christianity --Youth Issues/Connection with God

QUESTION: Hi, My name is Jessica and I am 21 years old. I accepted Jesus and God into my life with I was about 18-19 years old. Since then I have had a peace of mind and soul. I literally believed in my hear that Jesus was my best friend in the whole world and I had a 100% trust in him regardless of any situation I was in. Basically, I had no worries in my life. However, lately, it's not the same. I am a junior in college and I have been so stressed out for the past year that I was no focused with school and succeeding at school that I completely lost touch with the Lord. I don't feel how I felt before anymore. I don't see him as my best friend and I don't have peace of mind. I tried so hard to read the bible and pray and get close to him again. I have prayed so many times asking him to come back into my heart because I feel like he's not there or I have pushed him out. I want him back but I don't know how to bring him back. Please help me get closer again to God. I feel like I am empty without him and I don't know what to do.

Thank you

ANSWER: Hi Jessica, very nice to meet you, and I want you to know that you are not alone in this feeling you've described...and there is an answer to your query..!

Jessica, when one says they accepted Jesus into their life, what that means is, that they have heard the gospel, and believed in their heart that what they heard was the truth. Believing the Gospel, and confessing that belief, causes the Holy Spirit to bring a *conception* of this truth into that persons life. One becomes * born again *, or * born from above, or born of the Spirit. This attributes to the feelings you've described.

But then, after being born again, one must receive the Holy Spirit. Just like Jesus left an example of this procedure through his life as a human being...  He was born of the Spirit, a conception took place in the womb of Mary, and after His birth, some thirty years later, he was water baptized in the river Jordan by John the baptist, and the Holy Spirit came upon Him, and filled Him with the Spirit.

Then He, by the Spirit walked and talked with God, saw miracles performed by the Spirit/God, and fulfilled all the prophesies written of Him.

You believed the Gospel, and were born again. Romans 10:9,10. And now you need to ask the Holy Spirit to come into your life and fill you with His Spirit.  

Luke 11:9  And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
 10  For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
 11  If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
 12  Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
 13  If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Now, every born again, spirit endowed Christian, when they start out as babes in Christ, it seems the Lord bends over backwards to prove His reality to them.. He answers prayers, and does things by which the young Christian is satisfied that what He believed about Him, is true.  BUT THEN!

The feelings of Him not being there, not answering prayers, feelings of complete absence of what they used to enjoy stops. Then they try everything they can think of doing to get that feeling back, and to no avail.

But He said, in His word. ' I will never leave you, nor forsake you!"   You are born of Him, and are His child. And He is entering in to the training stages of walking in and by faith in what He says, not what you * feel * !

Once His reality has been established in a young Christian, through the things they see, and hear, and feel, He steps back, to start to teach them, how to walk by faith in His word, rather than feelings that can be so fickle.

All babes in Christ have this same seeming dilema Jessica, so know that this is part of your growing into His likeness and character...1 Peter 2:  2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
 3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

1 Corinthians 3: 1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
 2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

Hebrews 5: 12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
 13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
 14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Jessica, you can see by a few of these scriptures that milk is for babes, and as one matures in the things of the Lord, then they get into the stronger *meat* of His word and sayings.

And since it is the Spirit of the Christ, that takes His word, and turns it into " milk ' for babes, and stronger 'food" as one matures, we need to have received the Holy spirit so He may teach us.

1 Corinthians 2: 9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
 10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
 11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
 13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
 15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
 16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

And also...1 John 2: 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. [[[ the anointing, is the Holy Spirit.]]]

Now this should suffice for a foundation of why you felt the way you did, and why you stopped feeling those things. For He is taking you on a walk by FAITH, not by sight, or by feelings.  Okay?

Your welcome to ask further if you need to. I am here by His design, and you found me, by His unction.

Sincerely In Christ

Mr Burns.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for writing everything you have written in that reply Mr. Burns. I very much appreciated it. However, I want to be honest with you that I only understood about 50% of that reply. I find it difficult to understand scripture when it is written the way it is written since layman's terms are usually what makes it easier to grasp every detail for me. Although, what I did get from the message is that, let me know if I am right here, God is testing me on my faith? That he might be pulling away from me to see if I would push towards him? How do I get him back? I don't want to wait. I want the feeling I used to have before.

ANSWER: Hi Jessica....  NO problem beloved. I will try and bring it down to simplify.  Since you have come to know His reality through your natural senses, which is right and good, because it has to start there first!

Now when those feelings you had, stop, it is Him, wanting to start you in the lessons of walking by faith/believing in His words, rather than your feelings...!

Jessica. our faith in Him is fragile, and wavers back and forth. The simplicity is that He says, " when we are faithless, He is faithful, because He cannot deny Himself!

So that simply means that we take our little faith and place it in HIS FAITHFULNESS, to bring about the desire of His heart for us..! Or as Jesus said, " Only believe!"

Just as you heard the gospel and believed it, something wonderful happened...  Well we are to continue in believing what the Word says...  as.... " I will never leave you nor forsake you! "  It doesn't depend on how I feel about it. Because feelings are not trustworthy, where His word is..   So when the word says, I won't leave you, nor forsake you.  even though I might feel that He has. I choose to believe what He said, rather than how I feel.....

I'll leave this simplified version for your consideration.  And we can move on to what is to happen next on this journey in His Kingdom... unto our maturing into the likeness of Christ...

Sincerely IN Him\

Mr Burns..  
I await any replies Jessica....  

This sentence of yours:

really just hit me soon as I read it!! I think this is exactly what I wanted to hear!! I used to just love God and believe and trust him in everything but I was so occupied with my school and life that I never gave his word(The Bible) much attention. I do read, of course, but I felt that I can always have a connection with him even if I didn't read his word often. I guess this is why I am feeling the way I am feeling. I have started reading the Bible from the beginning since that has been something I wanted to do for a long time. I just started recently so I haven't gotten that far. I feel like if I just keep going at it and believing what his word is saying and also believing in him, he might really come back to me! I really cannot explain to you how happy I am to realize this. I have been struggling and thinking for days and days, wondering why this has been happening but now, I have a slight clue of what could be the reason. I always use the "Parent and child" relationship analogy in my head when I think of my relationship with God. I think to myself that I can love my parents all I want but if I do not listen to their words,advice,etc, my love for them is just love and nothing else! I think this is what I am feeling towards God now. How would you recommend I start getting closer to the Lord's word? I know reading the Bible and praying is one thing but is there anything else?

Great Jessica, now you understand why the Word, says... " And the Word was God!"  You want to know Him better, you need to come to know the Word better.  Jesus is not separate from His WORD. The more you come to know the Word of God, you come to know Jesus,who is GOD.

I would suggest Jessica, that you start with your new testament mostly. You will find it much easier to read at this point in your spiritual infancy!  You will not understand much at first, because you will only receive the *milk* at first. And as you grow, you will see and understand more and more.  But don't forget 1 Corinthians 2.... You must receive the Holy Spirit, who is the teacher, the revealer of the Spiritual insight of the written word..   Remember the bible is a spiritual book, and must be understood with spiritual understanding, not the natural.

I remember when I first started to read the bible. I would read a passage, and the Spirit would say, " read that again!" So I would read the same passage again. And the spirit would say. " Now read it again!" And as I obeyed the Lord, and re-read the passage again, I caught what was being said, in that passage...! That was *milk* at the time. I've read that passage 100's of times again,and each time I read that same passage I receive more and more insight into another piece of it...! And that is how is should be Jessica..

He is the teacher, we are the students. He shows us what He meant by what He had written, and as He does, we come to know HIm better and better, and as we do that, we through time and experience become to be more and more like HIN...

Mr b...

Christianity --Youth Issues

L E Burns Apostle of Jesus

From Gods mouth to your ears. If you want the truth, and not just someone to agree with you, you've come to the right place.. "The wounds of a friend are better than the kisses of an enemy!"

Having an ongoing, ever increasing, intimate relationship with the One who Knows it all....

Master of Theology. Bachelor of Arts. Friends with the Teacher.