Christianity --Youth Issues/ALL sins forgiven?

QUESTION: Can we out sin God? Are all sins forgivable? I know 1 John 1:9 says he cleanses us from ALL unrighteousness. What about the blasphemy of the holy spirit or unforgivable sin? If someone had blasphemous thoughts or called God evil out of anger, not meaning it or actually thinking that he is evil, and asked for forgiveness, would God forgive them, or is it unforgivable?

ANSWER: Only the sin against the Holy Spirit cannot be forgiven.  All others are forgiven.  There is controversy, however, as to exactly what the sin against the Holy Spirit is.  I believe that is forgiveable to be angry at God and to have blasphemous thought about him in the short run, but in the long run, if you're worried about it, you can't possibly have meant it.  If it truly was blasphemous, or you really did mean it, your feelings would be indifference, not concern.  In other words, just not caring about it would be non forgiveable.

It's a difficult concept to grasp, but this is the best explanation I've been able to arrive at.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: What happened was that I was tired and very grumpy, and this awful blasphemous thought that God had an evil plan ran through my mind.  It was very intrusive because I don't think that about God!  I am afraid, though, that I may have thought it intentionally because of how tired and irritable I was.  I asked the Lord for forgiveness, but I had also been reading through Mark at the time, and I began to worry that my thought was basically the same thing that the Pharisees did.  It made me very afraid!  I keep reminding myself that the Bible says that he will cleanse us from all unrighteousness if we confess our sins.So, every sin CAN be forgiven, and blasphemy of the Holy Spirit isn't speaking or thinking a stupid, terrible thought about God, but a consistent and permanent rejection of his work?  It's not that it's just so terrible a sin that God just refuses to forgive it?  Do you think someone who is committing this sin would even ever want forgiveness?  If someone genuinely wants to turn from their sin and be forgiven by the Lord, he wouldn't turn them away?

I want to believe I'm forgiven, just like any good parent forgives and still loves their child after they throw temper tantrums and yell, "I hate you," at their parents, not meaning it but just saying it out of anger and emotion. But my heart still feels worried that maybe ebay I thought is unforgivable and God won't forgive me even though I want his forgiveness.

There's a rule in youth ministry.  If no student ever yells "I hate you" directly to you, then you're not doing youth ministry right.

Amanda - if you're not angry at God sometimes, then you're not doing it right, it meaning loving God.  You get angry because you don't understand, and you lash out at God.  This is NOT blasphemy, it's part of every day life.  You hit the nail on the head when you said this:

"blasphemy of the Holy Spirit isn't speaking or thinking a stupid, terrible thought about God, but a consistent and permanent rejection of his work?"

That is a very wise thought.  And I personally think that God might forgive that, too, if that person decided to come back to him.  We can't understand God's way.  We don't know why that scripture is in there, but scripture also says to forgive 70 X 7 times.

All God wants is our praise and worship.  Amanda, it sounds like you're already doing that, and you should not disrespect God by worrying that He won't forgive you.  God is bigger than that.  He WILL forgive you.  He HAS forgiven you.  Scripture also says that Jesus died for our sins while we are still sinners.

Fear not, and go forth and worship God because He HAS forgiven you.

God Bless You,

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church