Christianity --Youth Issues/What Biblical Scriptures Say

Question
Good day, Pastor. I am an 18-year-old teen from Asia and my country has a population consisting of mostly Christians. One of the controversial issues today is about homosexuality. There's a TV show being aired every night since a month ago, I think. And the main focus was on the sexuality of the lead actors who are both men. The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) were adamant that the show be taken off air. But according to the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) the show went through the proper procedures and channels to have the show aired. I was wondering if I could get your opinion regarding homosexuality and if you could tell me what the Bible says about it. I remember someone telling me something from the Leviticus which say something about it but I researched it and I don't know if I interpreted it properly. Also, on that note, I was wondering if there was anything about transexuality?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question. Good day.

Answer
Hi Lour

Thanks for this great question.  I am glad that you want to know what the Bible says... not just waht some religious leaders think.  What matters is what God says.  Yes there is a passage in Leviticus ... but there are also some New Testament verses that are very clear that homosexuality is wrong.  I will quote the verses below.

Leviticus 18:22 (AV)
22 Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Romans 1:26–27 (AV)
26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9–10 (AV)
9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

I believe there is also a prohibition against cross dressing:

Deuteronomy 22:5 (AV)
5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

I hope that this helps you.  These verses are clear... homosexuality is a sin, but God does forgive and God can break someone free from the bondage of homosexuality.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity --Youth Issues

Pastor Don Carpenter