Christianity --Youth Issues/homosexuality

How is it that Christians claim homosexuality is a choice? Now I'm not going to review the small mountain of evidence that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that homosexuality is inborn (since Christians don't believe in science. But if you're curious google gay brain). Anyway, consider your own sexual responses. Let's say you have a sexual response every time you see a woman with a red hair (or insert your preference here). Do you consciously choose to have an erection when you see a woman you consider attractive? Then why do you think it's different for homosexuals? BTW I myself am not gay, but I do support gay rights.

I wish I could answer you, Charles, but I can't.  I'm in 100% agreement with you that homosexuality is not a choice.  However, that being said, I do believe that SOME people (very few, but I have no research to prove this) who are bisexual choose a gay lifestyle.

I saw a study a long time ago that showed that very few people are completely 100% heterosexual, but that it was a bell curve skewed way over to the heterosexual side.  This means that most people are just a "little bit" bi-sexual.

I have no idea why people continue to think it's a choice.  It is for some, but the vast majority it is in their DNA.  As a youth minister, I'm often in a position to speak with parents and others about homosexuality, and a lot of people just don't get it.

I lived with a gay guy for about a year when I was in the Army away from my wife.  He and I became close friends, and I learned a lot about "gayness".  He struggled with it.  Even had a female fiancee.  I learned from him.  I've also learned from about a half dozen or so gay and bisexual students I've had over the years.

There's only 1 thing that I have to disagree with.  Most Christians DO believe in science.  I know several scientists, and they are all Christians.  I myself have a BS and MS degree, so I guess you could call me a scientist, too.

Not sure I answered your question, but I would appreciate your feedback.  Please take time to rate my answer.

PS  How did you know I liked red-heads?

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church