Christianity --Youth Issues/Falling in Love

Hi. I'm Sharpie. I'm 16 years old. About 3 weeks ago, I met a guy at a church I used to go to. I went to the church because they were having a special service. The guy came over to me and started talking to me and we became very close very fast. Our attraction was immediate and on a spiritual level, then emotional, then physical attraction. We both fell in love with each other only a couple days after meeting. My problem however is not with him. Its with my parents. I don't know how to explain this to my parents. I know what they think about things like this. They are already somewhat antsy since they see and hear me talking to this guy so often after just meeting him. I want to explain what is going on and how I feel, but especially my mother, will give me a speech on what the problems with that are and how its not right. The last time I checked, it wasn't wrong to fall in love at a young age. this guy and I love each other. We already know how we want to go through with a relationship in the future, but my parents now is what is really holding us back. I want to tell them in my own words, but I don't know how to so they will accept it. What do you think I should do? The guy is already planning on meeting my parents, but I also want them to hear from me how I feel. Thanks.

You're probably not going to like my answer, but please read it.

You are most likely NOT in love.  The age of 16 is far too young for that.  Your parents love you very much, and they are probably concerned about you spending more time on your bf than school, about the possiblity of you becoming pregnant, and the possibility of you making a poor decision.

The best way to approach your parents is to simply tell them the truth right up front.  Don't hide anything, just tell them you're in love.  They'll probably tell you the same thing I did - you're too young.  Just know that they DO love you and that I want you to listen to them.

As for you, be patient.  If you really do love him now, you'll love him when you're 21.  Living in this economy with the 2 of you working at minimum wage is just about impossible.  You need to concentrate on school and college.  If you both do that, you'll have a much better life.

Hope this helps.  Please contact me again in a month and let me know how it's going.

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church