Christianity --Youth Issues/Same-sex marriage ruling.

As a gay man I'am happy that the United States supreme court has ruled in favor of gay marriage back on Friday 6/26/2015 making gay marriage legal in all 50 states and I honestly never thought that I'd never see the day, even in my lifetime, that gay marriage would be legalized in all 50 states. I'm sure that you've also heard in recent years the opponents of gay marriage basically saying that the sky would fall and all sorts of bad things would happen if gay marriage were legalized and, of course, nothing bad has happened as a result rendering the anti-gay marriage arguments as ridiculous and unfounded. Now that I've shared my thoughts about the gay marriage ruling I guess I was curious as to what your thoughts are about the supreme court ruling in favor of gay marriage.

thanks for writing, good to hear from you.

As for me personally, I'm sorta glad it's over, now we can waste our time and money on something else.  I do, however have some things to say about the whole affair.

I believe that gay marriage is wrong, because the Bible tells me that a marriage is between a man and woman.  It is a widely held belief by religious people for thousands of years.  I do, however, realize that there are people who interpret the Bible differently, or are not religious at all.  My religious beliefs should not be thrust upon them.  Therefore, despite the fact that I think it's wrong, I'm in favor of gay marriage, but would not approve of one in my home church or denomination.  Some people call that discriminatory.  I don't.  Your right to get married does not trump my religious freedom to not marry you.

I hope that makes sense to you. My denomination says it's wrong for our pastors to officiate or bless a gay marriage.  The pastors took an oath that they wouldn't.  Yet some do, and some have been defrocked.  Although you might easily find a church within my denomination that would marry you (especially in the northwest), there's not many of them.  It's a controversy that has gone on within our church since 1968.  I doubt we'll change soon because we are a world wide church, and half our members are African.  The Africans vote overwhelmingly to outlaw gay marriages.

Many mainline Protestant churches have softened their stance.  See:

It has a useful chart at the bottom if you don't want to wade through it all.

My biggest problem with the ruling is not the issue it addresses.  It's that SCOTUS has unilaterally told the states what to do in violation of the 9th and 10th Amendments.  (Your homework - look them up).  I don't really care what it is they told the states, they don't have the right to do that.  Only Congress can make laws.

So, bottom line is this - if you want to get married, go for it.  After you do, you should be welcomed in many churches, ironically, even in mine.  I, too, will welcome you.

Write again soon,

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church