Christianity --Youth Issues/Mentoring youth

Hello and thank you in advance for answering my question.
I am considering a job at a place that works with troubled girls. While they do have a professional staff available, they need shift leaders and mentors. Since they have strict guidelines and procedures to follow I was wondering If and when is an appropriate time to share Jesus? I have had a lot of experience with this at regular jobs (be a sermon rather than preach one) then when the time was right I could briefly mention the lord and the reason for my joy and peace- and that has been successful so far, but while troubled youth would need Jesus more than ever, I am not sure how that would fit in a structured setting like that? I was thinking probably like any situation, let the Lord lead you...Still, I was wondering if you had any experience or thoughts in this area? Any information would help.

Hi V,

Thanks for this fantastic question.  I am so glad that you want to reach out and BE a sermon.  That is a very Biblical attitude.

“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.” (Matthew 5:16, KJV 1900)

I do have some counsel on how to do it while providing help in a strict environment.  Here are some things to keep in mind.

1.  We are commanded to point people to Jesus, but we are not given a strict set way of how we are to do it.  We can be creative.... it does not have to be about handing out a tract and doing one two three pray with me.

2.  Know exactly what the policy is in your work place when it comes to speaking about religion.

3.  Many places allow you to talk about faith when it is something they want to talk about.  If you keep it centered around what they want, what they think... you can keep going.  Learn how to be salt... ask questions to make them thirsty for Jesus.  Once they are, then you can go ahead and give them a drink from the water of the word.

4.  Pray pray... pray.... God will lead you how and when if you ask Him to.

I hope that this is a good start.

In Christ
Pastor Don

Christianity --Youth Issues

Pastor Don Carpenter

I believe that every word of the Bible is God- Breathed. This blessed book is the foundation of truth for faith and practice. If you ask this volunteer a question you will receive an answer from the Bible that is based upon a literal, normal interpretation, taking into account the grammar and culture of the time.

I have been in the ministry 20+ years. During that time I served as a youth pastor, christian counselor, assistant pastor, church planter, and a senior pastor.

Revival Baptist Chronicles
The Fundamental Baptist Voice

BS in Bible, from Baptist Bible College in CLarks Summit PA