Christianity --Youth Issues/forgiveness

Question
I don't understand concepts like grace, mercy or foregiveness. I was raised by a very harsh mother and a harsher stepfather. There was no mercy or forgiveness in my house. I grew up feeling like God hated me and my parents hated me. I still feel like God hates me. I masturbate a lot and I'm afraid God hates me for that. Anytime I make a mistake no matter how small it is I feel a wave of self-loathing and depression. I cut when I get extremely depressed. I don't understand how God could love anyone as disgusting as I am.

Answer
I'm sorry for taking so long to answer this, Charles. I was experiencing some issues with my login.

With regards to your question, the simplest answer I can give you is that God does not hate you. I'm sure you've heard this from others before, but it's the truth. I want to be clear with you about one thing: you are NOT a disgusting human being.

I am very sorry you grew up with such harsh circumstances, but you don't deserve to be punished any further. I think it's time that you learn how to forgive yourself. It's a hard thing to do, I know from experience, but that's why I encourage you to reach out to an adult you have a good relationship with. Cutting and depression are some very hard things to deal with, and it's not your fault for having these feelings.

Please take a look at this online article. I think it may help you understand what you are going through a little more:

http://www.helpguide.org/articles/depression/teenagers-guide-to-depression.htm

Sincerely,
Juan

Christianity --Youth Issues

Juan Castaneda