Christianity --Youth Issues/what's the point

Hello, Mr. Carl, quick question what do you think is the point of going to college or vocational school if we are living in the end times? In your opinion?

Hi, cg.  Thanks for writing.

Well, the first thing you have to do is really analyze your belief that the end times are here.  That is something that has been debated for 2000 years.  

I've got to have a different opinion about that than you, because I'm assuming you're younger than me.  I'm 69.  MY end times are already here.  My life expectancy is about 15 years.  I just live in the now.  You have to weigh your thoughts about the possibility of the end times being here, vs the possibility that they're not and you have to support yourself for the rest of your life.  And there are a LOT of reasons to go to college - meet chicks (or guys, or both), learn something you didn't know, learn a trade/profession, etc.  I've thought about going back to college.  I started seminary when I was 50, but for different reasons, I stopped.  If I go back to school now, it will just be to learn something.

What will happen if the end times DON'T happen?  Will you be able to support yourself without a trade?  Will you depend on the government?  Churches?

Do you REALLY think the end times are here?  What should our response be as a Christian?  I would think that evangelism should be our main goal- i.e., trying to tell as many non-christians as we can about Jesus so that the end times won't find them lost.

My advice?  Go to college or a vocational school.  If you just graduated, take a gap year and find yourself, but THEN go to college or a vocational school.  You can depend on God to bring the end times in HIS time, not your timeline.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask more specific questions.

Christianity --Youth Issues

Carl F.

I can answer questions from teens & young adults concerning their faith walk and on social issues which affect their lives. I can answer questions on sex, homosexuality, or drugs, and anything else that might be troubling you. After 30 years in youth ministry, nothing shocks me, and I promise to give straight answers to any and all questions. I can also answer questions from youth workers on problems they`re having with programming or with their groups.

I have been involved in youth and young adult ministries as a volunteer for over 35 years. I am currently a volunteer youth minister in a suburban UM church - I have a small group of 7th and 8th graders.

United Methodist Church, Chrysalis, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo

Several training seminars, 9 years at National Youth Workers Convention, 1 year at Princeton Forum on Youth Ministry

Certified lay speaker for UM Church