Chronic Disease Support/Management/Sensitive stomach

Hi Isabel
As I have gotten older, I find I need to eat less to stay satisfied. Also, I have to watch what I eat or I become extremely bloated for days. The worst offenders are alcohol, foods high in sugar, carbs, and fats. I am not particularly overweight, and I get lots of exercise.
Last week I was on a vacation trip. I tried to watch what I ate, but my belly blew up so big I had to get bigger pants.
Also, I binge drank a lot this past winter. I am sure that contributed to my expanding waist. I am down to six or fewer drinks a week now.
I have tried all kinds of food avoidance from gluten to fats. The only thing that seems to help is a low carb diet-but I cant eat that much meat.
I am so frustrated. My doctor says its 'central obesity' and probably genetic. I don't think he believe how little I eat.Can you suggest anything in the way of supplements or other foods to avoid?  I still drink alcohol but way less-could that be the problem? Should I go cold turkey?
Thanks so much!

Please remember I am not a medical professional. However, I like to read about health and medical issues.

I have heard several people say that as they have gotten older they needed to eat less food to stay satisfied.

However, being bloated tends to indicate that all is not quite right. It is cool how you already know that the bloating can be tied to food allergies/ intolerances. It is disappointing that so far avoiding foods has not fully helped your problem. Food issues are inherently complex because we eat so many different foods it can be difficult to determine exactly what the problem is. If we eat too small a variety of foods we risk developing problems or allergies to them.

Problems digesting sugar or carbs or alcohol gets me thinking about yeast problems because if I remember correctly carbs are easier to digest than protein or fiber. There are a variety of protocols designed to help with yeast problems.

Problems digesting fats makes me wonder about how well the gall bladder is functioning. There are protocols and supplements to try to help restore optimal gall bladder function.

What do you mean when you say you cannot eat that much meat? How do you react to non starchy vegetables (obviously potatoes are very carb rich but other veggies)? What about other sources of protein - beans, nuts, legumes, fish, seafood, seeds? This would help to add variety and hopefully would not bother your stomach. I think food dairies can be very helpful but they are also time consuming but depending on your situation that could be worth trying. Common allergens - wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, fish/shellfish, tree nut, peanut. Other problems I have heard/read about - salicylates, food dyes/ colorings, artificial flavorings, citrus foods, nightshades, processed foods, processed sugars, problems with foods that are not grown organically/ allergies and problems to fertilizers and pesticides used to grow the food; regular meat that has hormones and antibiotics in it because the animal was given them.

Sorry your doctor does not believe you. Sadly you are not alone in that I have been there and so have many other people. Which makes me wonder how come doctors have not gotten better at listening and validating patients.

Supplement - digestive enzymes. If your body is struggling to digest the foods it could help you. Obviously ideal to try and eat what your body likes and can digest however, it may limit your diet too much so digestive enzymes could help. I am not a medical professional. Though I have heard a nutritionist doctor and a doctor of oriental medicine say they could not, but then a GI nurse practitioner said probably should not take them. There are vegetarian and non-vegetarian digestive enzymes depending on your preferences.

I know there is social drinking and within many cultures and sub-cultures drinking alcohol is very much the norm and not considered problematic. That said if you know that alcohol is causing you bloating and you do not like the bloating I gotta wonder why keep drinking alcohol. :? Especially since it tends not to be something that the human body physically requires to survive. Cutting out all carbs, fats, and sugars would seem quite problematic because we need some carbs and fats in our diet. If you do decide to cut back or stop drinking please consult with a medical professional to ensure that you can do so safely without shocking your system. Alcohol withdrawal can lead to medical complications and potentially be life threatening. This is the internet so I err on the cautious side. About 6 drinks a day could indicate daily drinking which would increase the risk of withdrawal versus if you just drink over the weekend. Information about Alcohol Withdrawal - I am not super familiar with the organization but they say they just want to provide information not scare people or try to increase their business. Sounds like it would be beneficial to at least try no alcohol for a few months to a year to see if it helps. If you do not like the physical results you could go back to drinking. Though it also has empty calories. Can lead to "beer belly." Our metabolism slows as we age so it can have more profound physical effects versus when we were younger. The body has to work so hard to process it. So it seems to me like most people benefit from not drinking or really cutting back. Also there seems to be some difference regarding the type of alcohol one drinks. I never heard any benefit to liquor or beer or champagne but red wine can be beneficial but researchers also seem to be suggesting that one could drink grape juice instead to get the nutrients minus the alcohol.

Hope this helps & please let me know if you have more questions.

Best wishes!

Chronic Disease Support/Management

Dealing with and managing food intolerances, Celiac's, allergies, digestive problems, IBs, pain, headaches, TMJ, fibromyalgia, thyroid problems, blood sugar problems, hypoglycemia, auto-immune disease.

Living with chronic health problems.

I do not have a degree in a health field. I have read a lot and I have first hand experience with some conditions.