Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/I'm tired all the time, can this be CFS?

Question
I am an 18 year old female, 5'8, approximately 155 pounds. I have been suffering from severe fatigue ever since I was in high school. In grade 11 I was diagnosed with mononucleosis and had symptoms of fatigue, soar throat as well as an enlarged spleen. I'm now in my first year of Nursing at the University of Windsor and are having reoccurring symptoms. I am tired all the time. Even when I sleep 8-9 hours, within 2-3 hours of waking up I am exhausted again. I often find myself cold and have a lack of energy. I have low iron and low B12 and take supplements, as well as a nutritional drink named Veema. Even when I exercise I have shortness of breath and I like too stay active and go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week if I can. When I went to my doctor about my concerns she told me that I was doing everything I could. I asked her if I could have mono again as I have had a soar throat for a few weeks and she said it was unlikely as my spleen would hurt all the time. I am wondering if I could have chronic fatigue syndrome as I was told mononucleosis can turn into chronic fatigue syndrome later in life. However, I did not think the symptoms would return within 2 years. I realize that University causes lots of stress and perhaps the stress and business of life is causing me to become fatigued. However, the biggest concern is even when I get enough sleep I'm still not fully rested. I take 2-4 hour naps almost everyday and its hard for me to participate in activities I enjoy everyday because I am so tired. It's very upsetting that no one thinks this is a huge concern except myself. It is causing depression and unhappiness and I just want to feel energized again and enjoy life!

Answer
Please forgive that it has taken me this long to respond.  I too feel the same way you do, and I just haven't been able to sit at the computer the past few days.

The virus that causes mononucleosis is Epstein-Barr virus (EBV).  Professor A. Martin Lerner argues that CFS is a prolonged, chronic mononucleosis following infection with EBV.  This doesn't mean you have mono, but rather an intracellular reactivation of an old infection.  So yes, what you describe is VERY consistent with having CFS.

I looked at Veema, and while it is a clinically studied, antioxidant supplement that provides your body with vitamins, minerals, and whole-food nutrients, I would like to see you on a nutritional drink designed specifically for people with CFS.  It is called Fatigued to Fantastic! Energy Revitalization System and comes in berry and citrus flavors.  It delivers the benefits of over 50 vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients for sustained energy and replaces the equivalent of 25-35 tablets a day.  The instructions say, "Each morning, take 1/2 to 1 scoop.  For 1/2 scoop: Mix with 4-6 oz water, your favorite beverage, smoothie, or yogurt. For 1 scoop: Mix with 8-12 oz. Drink within 30 minutes of preparation."  1/2 scoop is fine and makes a container last 60 days instead of 30.

For stress, try Fatigued to Fantastic! Adrenal Stress End.  It supplies the necessary nutrients to support adrenal gland function and helps manage stress and stress-related fatigue.  The directions say to take two capsules daily with food, preferably in the morning or one in the morning and one at noon.

Lastly, for sleep, try the Fatigued to Fantastic! Revitalizing Sleep Formula.  This helps you fall asleep faster and maintain a healthy sleep cycle - without feeling groggy the next day.  The recommended daily dose is One UltraCap 30-60 minutes before bedtime. If additional support is desired, take up to four UltraCaps.  This formula can also be used during the day to help calm occasional anxiety. A maximum of 8 capsules in a 24 hour period may be taken.

For optimum results, use all three products in combination and give it a three-month trial.

Google the products, buy them, and try them for three months.  Check the prices out at your local health food store too.  See what the prices are; I may be able to get it for you cheaper so let me know what you find them for.  And when you're on-line or out shopping, pick up this book; it's like the CFS Bible!  It's called "The Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Solution" by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. and is available as an e-book.

I'm taking a course and will soon be a certified CFS & Fibromyalgia Wellness Coach.  We could communicate via Skype or phone about other issues like the depression, I can order blood work for you, we can review the results together, and I can provide you with information to provide to your doctor because I can't prescribe meds.  If that's something you're interested in, let me know.  I have faith that we will improve if not cure you!  Hope this helps!

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

John Porterfield, M.Ed., CHLC