Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Could my friend have CFS?

Hello John,

I write regarding my friend Jackie who is very close and dear to me and it has become difficult (especially for her mother) to watch her suffer and I would be really grateful for your thoughts and advice as to the best steps she can take for diagnosis/remedy. The doctors she has been to so far are unable to help her with any formal diagnosis. A scan to her brain has been unrevealing.

She has described the following symptoms:

Burning skin and burning sensations in lungs, chest, eyes, nose and ears.
Shocks in head and heart
Stroke like symptoms (eg. difficulty with speech)
Sinking feelings
Sensitivity to noise
Visual problems
Inability to sleep

She has noticed these symptoms seem to manifest themselves more when she is out in the sun or near powerlines though these factors may or may not be the main underlying cause.

The symptoms started soon after an operation 5 years ago to her nose which split after she ran in to a glass pane. Her nose dripped for many days after the operation.

As we are at a loose end, any advice and direction would really be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your kind attention.

The symptoms you describe are common in CFS.  Furthermore, research has shown that CFS is known to begin after an injury or illness like you describe.

In his 30 years of clinical experience treating CFS/FMS, and in his landmark published research on CFS/FMS (published in the Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), Dr. Teitelbaum has found that his S.H.I.N.E. approach is successful in the vast majority of patients. S.H.I.N.E. identifies five key areas related to the body that, when addressed in combination, provide a blueprint for promoting optimal energy. THEY ALL NEED TO BE ADDRESSED AT ONCE.  Tending to these can help support recovery when dealing with CFS and fibromyalgia.

S = SLEEP: Get adequate sleep, preferably eight to nine hours a night. Sleep replenishes the body's energy and heals its muscles. Inadequate sleep will leave you exhausted and in pain.

H = HORMONES: Get tested for hormone deficiency and treated if needed. Hormone deficiencies can contribute to fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome.

I = IMMUNITY: Get treatment when symptoms of infections occur. The lack of restorative sleep in CFS/FM leads to dysfunctional immune systems. Underlying viral, bacterial, bowel, sinus and yeast infections are common and can be a contributing cause or result of CFS/FM.

N = NUTRITION: To maintain normal health and optimal energy levels you need to be sure you body is getting a proper balance of nutrition, particularly as nutritional deficiencies can result from CFS/FM. Vitamin B-12, magnesium, Acetyl L-Carnitine, glutathione, as well as your basic A, B, C and D vitamins are especially vulnerable to depletion from this.

E = EXERCISE: Exercise as able. After 10 weeks on the 4 steps above, you will be able to slowly increase your exercise-without being wiped out the next day!

See a 50-minute video of Dr. T's presentation at the 2013 American Board Holisic Integrative Medicine conference here:

I recommend that you complete Dr. Teitlebaum's on-line, FREE Energy Analysis Program with your friend.  It can help you in your approach in following the S.H.I.N.E. protocol. It is a specially designed, patented, questionnaire (a tool) that helps you pinpoint individual lifestyle and nutritional factors that are impacting your friend's possible CFS, vitality, and overall wellness. You can complete this simple questionnaire here: (takes about 20-30 minutes to complete). The program analyzes your answers using special algorithms developed by Dr. T and then suggests where your friend may not be receiving proper nutrition for optimal recovery of body structures and functions, along with recommendations on how to optimize those areas.

Dr. Sarah Myhill is in the UK and practices along the same guidelines as Dr. T: .  Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

John Porterfield, M.Ed., CHLC

I cannot diagnose as I am not a MD. I can answer questions regarding optimizing sleep, hormones, nutrition, treating infections, and enhancing the mitochondria with both natural remedies and Rx drugs.

Diagnosed with CFS in 2002. Cured in 2005. Had a relapse in 2009. I've been seen by the top CFS doctors in the country, and have learned a lot from them. I would like to share what has worked for me.

American Association for Health Education, The CFIDS Association of America

B.S.Ed. in Health Education, licensed health educator in the state of OH. M.Ed. Certified Holistic Lifestyle Coach. Completed Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum, MD's