Chrysler/'00 minivan: won't start

I have a 2000 Chrysler voyages see. We had a clicking when we tried to start the car. We replaced the starter. The clicking is gone and you can here it try to start now but it won't turn over. What could it be? We thought it was a dead battery. We put a good battery in and it turned over fine. We put our battery back in to jump start and it won't start. It almost starts but won't finish turning over. We replaced the connectors and cleaned the battery terminals. Not sure what it could be. Other then the starter it ran perfectly fine.

Hi Christina,
Try using the ignition key/switch to get a fault code readout from the engine control module which may tell us why it won't start. Turn the key: "on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window in the instrument cluster to see the mileage reading be replaced by a 4-digit number(s) preceded by a P. Let me know the number(s) and we'll go from there. I assume that the battery/jump situation you have now is cranking over the engine sufficiently rapidly for you to expect the engine to "catch" and run.  
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.

Roland Finston

Repair questions, but I would prefer that you use the category "Auto Repair" rather than this "Cars" category. Free, fast repair information (20-minute average answer time) for your 1982-2010 Chrysler/Dodge car, minivan, SUV.

Repair advice to help you diagnose, minimize repair costs, or do-it-yourself.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 factory shop manuals/dozen multi-model CD's.

Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. As regards Dodge trucks and Jeeps I only have manuals for the '04-'07 model years so am limited as to specifics about those vehicles outside that time frame.

There are answers on file to more than thirty-five thousand Chrysler questions at your finger tips: put a few key words in the "find" box (above) or click on "view past answers" for a chronological list of my q and a's. If you find a past answer that is helpful but not fully so, DON'T USE the "Add to This Answer"; if you still have a question ask it directly to me.

I take questions seven days a week between 8AM and 9PM Central Time. During those hours "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question so try again later.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).