Chrysler/2006 worn timing belt check: 2.4L

I just purchased a 2006 sebring convertible with a 2.4 engine. It has 102,000 miles. I don't know if the timing belt was changed. How can i check on the condition of it to determine if i should change it now? What do i look for and where is the inspection point at?

Hi Tom,
The upper timing belt cover on the front of the engine is held in place by a bolt at the noon position and a bolt at 3 o'clock position. Once you remove that you should be able to inspect the condition of the belt. Rotate the engine by hand to visually inspect the entire belt. You can rotate the engine via the crankshaft pulley bolt.  You would look for signs of fraying and cracking of the rubber and any damage to the teeth. The recommended change by the manufacturer is at 90,000 miles.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.

Roland Finston

Repair questions, but I would prefer that you use the category "Auto Repair" rather than this "Cars" category. Free, fast repair information (20-minute average answer time) for your 1982-2010 Chrysler/Dodge car, minivan, SUV.

Repair advice to help you diagnose, minimize repair costs, or do-it-yourself.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 factory shop manuals/dozen multi-model CD's.

Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. As regards Dodge trucks and Jeeps I only have manuals for the '04-'07 model years so am limited as to specifics about those vehicles outside that time frame.

There are answers on file to more than thirty-five thousand Chrysler questions at your finger tips: put a few key words in the "find" box (above) or click on "view past answers" for a chronological list of my q and a's. If you find a past answer that is helpful but not fully so, DON'T USE the "Add to This Answer"; if you still have a question ask it directly to me.

I take questions seven days a week between 8AM and 9PM Central Time. During those hours "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question so try again later.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).