Chrysler/98 Concorde stall problem

Hi Roland,
My 98 Concorde 3.2L stalls while driving (both freeway and city driving).   It might restart right away (while still coasting to a stop) or take minutes, but has always restarted.  It may stay running for seconds, minutes or hours.  It stalled four times in a 10 minute period, eventually restarting each time.  I towed it to a dealer, they started it normally, said they couldn’t look at it for two days so I drove it (with many prayers) 75 miles back home with not problems.  Dealer said it might be a Powertrain Control Module and said it might not be available  (they are).  Once the car starts, it runs great, no rough idle, no power loss, perfect until it stall again.  Tack goes to 0 RPM immediately once power is lost but still in drive and when coasting to a stop, so there might be an electrical component to this problem, (as the engine is still turning over).  Where should I start?  Throttle Body Sensor, Intake Air Control Sensor or could I have the PCM going out on an intermittent basis?
As always, your advice is always appreciated.  Thanks.  Russell

Hi Russell,
Did you try for fault codes with the ignition switch? "On-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window to see if the mileage reading changes to show a 4-digit number preceded by a P. Let me know if so.
Other than that, if there are no codes with a stalling problem, my suspicion would be the exhaust gas recirculation valve is hanging up slightly ajar due to a build-up of crud on the valve stem. Particularly this would be true if it happens when slowing down or slightly accelerating, when the valve is supposed to close tightly. If it doesn't close then the mixture is too lean. It may be possible to remedy/improve the egr valve stem action by the use of WD-40.
So let me know what you find.
Please read the PS (below) and respond to it.

Roland Finston

Repair questions, but I would prefer that you use the category "Auto Repair" rather than this "Cars" category. Free, fast repair information (20-minute average answer time) for your 1982-2010 Chrysler/Dodge car, minivan, SUV.

Repair advice to help you diagnose, minimize repair costs, or do-it-yourself.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 factory shop manuals/dozen multi-model CD's.

Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. As regards Dodge trucks and Jeeps I only have manuals for the '04-'07 model years so am limited as to specifics about those vehicles outside that time frame.

There are answers on file to more than thirty-five thousand Chrysler questions at your finger tips: put a few key words in the "find" box (above) or click on "view past answers" for a chronological list of my q and a's. If you find a past answer that is helpful but not fully so, DON'T USE the "Add to This Answer"; if you still have a question ask it directly to me.

I take questions seven days a week between 8AM and 9PM Central Time. During those hours "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question so try again later.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).