Chrysler Repair/2002 Pt Cruiser: code 0340

Jessee wrote at 2010-03-08 18:42:26
I had this same situation on a Neon.  If you do not know for sure what head this motor came off of this is your problem.  More than likely it came off of a 2.0 Neon motor.  Same head, different cams.  The sensor in the 2.0 cams is rotated to a different position than the 2.4.  You can either redrill the locating pin 90* from the existing hole, or, put the 2.4 cams back in the new head.  I would go for the cam swap.  That way you have the right cams for the engine.  If you start the motor without the cam sensor bolted up and start moving the sensor up to the head in about the position it should be the motor will start dieing.  Pull it away and it will run fine. I had a 2.4 head and cams on a 2.0.  Ended up swapping back to the 2.0 cams.

larry wrote at 2013-03-05 13:26:52
dear sir i had same changed head car ran without cam sensor but no start with cam sensor  in 2000 to 2002 the computer was total different and i did not get a crank code so i replaced anyway because like the other man said the cam sensor is wired with crank on the 2002 so check asd relay this is what sends power to coil and it is coming from crank sensor i had one code from car odom. when i checked codes and no code for crank s. so after reading wiring diegram i found it had to be bad asd relay or crank sensor  larry ps do not buy from a cheap store i bought 2 poor sensors in a row and dam near drove me crazy rock auto has the crank from 16.00 to 60.00 so to test buy a cheap on if not sure . but i would change both asd relay and crank sensor this will make car run im sure and check wires to cam plug i have seen many on20002 with frayed wires that touched and check if magnet is strong or if you set sensor on steel table or on a steel tool witch i did and sensor did not work after i put head on ,i set on top of parts washer and this is the only thing that i belive messed up the sensor but it sat for 4 months do to no time to put together do to other cars  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston