Chrysler Repair/Transmission won't shift out of low

Bob A wrote at 2013-02-22 02:23:03
Well I am not sure if this is related or not but it seems really close. I literally just bought a 1998 Chysler Cirrus LXI.  It just turned 64,000 miles and I checked Carfax and it is a Florida Car that just came here to Michigan a few months ago.  Not much driving on this car over the last 6 months or so.  Anyway, as I am driving home, I am accelerating a little harder then normal to see how the pick up was since it was first time really driving.  Took on highway and accelerated pretty quickly and it drove PERFECT.  It was mauybe a 20 mile drive.  Once I got home, my dad wanted to take for a spin and he absolutely floored it to the point the front wheels squelled.  Immediately after the car would not get out of 2nd gear.  Like it was stuck.  The Speedo worked while in 2nd gear but hear I am thinking a need a tranny on a car I just bought for a good price at 64K miles.  Is there anything I can do myself or do I need to take it to a shop?  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).