Chrysler Repair/1999 Town and Country: No start/stall after seconds

ssaxman wrote at 2008-08-17 19:58:33
There is a circuit board behind the instrument cluster  ( speedometer/tach/temp) that goes bad either replace the circuit board ( $400 )  or buy another instrument cluster from a junkyard  ($ 75 )and hope that it works.This will also give you a p1698 p 700 and p740 code because the connection between the two computers seem to go through here also.  I just went through all of the same symptoms. this is a defect with these cars which should have been a recall but Chrysler didn't want to pay for all of those circuit boards.

Jon wrote at 2013-05-23 15:56:40
You have the exact same symptoms that we had on a 1999 Town & Country.  There is a connector pin in the instrument cluster that didn't get enough solder in the manufacturing process so the pin cracks away from the solder.  If the vehicle won't start, try hitting the top of your dash to shake the instrument cluster and then try starting again.  If it starts, you have the same problem we had.  You can get step by step repair process photos and explanation at the following website.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).