Chrysler Repair/1999 mini-van won't start

Brian wrote at 2009-02-09 23:30:34
Ok, here's one for you.  I had the same problem with our 1999 Grand Voyager.

Plenty of power (lights, radio, etc), relay clicked, but nothing to the starter. Took starter off and had Advance Auto test it.  It tested fine although there was some vibration as if bearings were going bad.  I went ahead and bought  a new one figuring it was time for a new one anyway since it had 125,000 miles on it.  I put the new one on and still nothing.  I've read stories of having to put in new computers, etc. in and was getting frustrated.

The next morning I was in the shower and remembered a 1991 Nissan Sentra we had.  It had the same problem until we realized that the shift lever, although in park, had to be pushed all the way forward to activate the safety switch, otherwise the car wouldn't start.  I thought 'hmmmmmm'.  I went out to the van, turned the key to be able to move the shift lever,  moved it through the gears, put it back in park making sure it was all the way up, turned the key and it started right up.  Has been fine ever since.

keninconcord wrote at 2009-08-28 18:49:06
Hi, I own a 1999 Ply. Grand Voyager w/3.3 litre motor. Been having the exact same problem with the "no crank" situation. Over a period of a year mine would crank, not crank and then crank again. Tried the wiggle the shifter and put it in neutral thing. I actually figured out the problem after replacing the starter, starter solenoid and the starter relay.

I realized mine would start with no problems if the inside comparment of the van was comfortable temperature wise, say between 60 and 80 degrees. Any temp. higher and the "no crank" would begin.

To shorten this story a bit I over came the "no crank" by turning the key in the ignition almost with a vengeance, as if trying to snap the key off, but of course not quite that hard. Starts everytime. I have deduced the problem is inside the steering column. When the temp. rises, metal expands and moves a part that has to do with engaging the starter. The "crank" rod isn't being pushed far enough by the motion of the key or the "plug" for the starter is misaligned. In any event I hope this helps. Ken

don wrote at 2012-11-10 08:46:10
Try the neutral start park switch on the transmission toward the driver side side edge of the transmission.  This is a grounding switch so if you put the transmission gear shift in neutral or park the center pin should be grounded to the frame or engine block.  Number 2 put the volt meter across the outer two terminals with the gear shift selector in reverse and there should be continunity.  If these don't happen replace the switch

(about $16 auto zone) sIf this is okay then try moving the gear shift adjustment a small amount with the lever in park until it starts. Then put the gearshift in reverse without the car running but ignition turned on and see if the backup lites come on. Just need a volt meter to check this problem. First though make sure the start relay in the fuse box works.  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).