Chrysler Repair/2001 Town & Country: Battery drains overnight

mjkers wrote at 2011-05-04 15:55:32
I have a 1998 T & C and the battery would drain overnight. Replaced the altenator and problem solved. Found a mechanic that said 9 out of 10 times it's the altenator. Something inside altenator not shutting down completely.

Had problem your years. Very happy.

Elizabeth wrote at 2014-08-05 18:39:03
My 2001 T&C has the same problem.  3 private mechanics + 1 dealer mechanic cannot figure out the problem.  They claim they have tried identifying a fuse problem and can't.  Dealer replaced the PCM twice.  It takes months for the battery to drain, but once it does, I cannot go more than 24 to 36 hours without driving it, or the battery is completely dead.

Roland Finston wrote at 2014-08-07 23:41:42
Hi Elizabeth,

I can't answer you directly, you have to ask a new question for me to be able to do that. I suspect that you have a slightly higher than normal residual current that is there when the engine is shut off. That current is called the "ignition off draw" and it can be measured with an inexpensive volt-ohm-millamp meter. Once you verify that, then you can search for which circuit is drawing current beyond what it should and then identify what component is doing that. But unless you ask me a new question we can't dialogue about how to do this.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).