Chrysler Repair/1998 Breeze: 'gremlins' in left rear light fixture

Cwils wrote at 2013-11-22 06:29:24
Hi Ben, Roland is on the right track and I do not think he missed anything for you to check and double check. I just finished working on my buddies 1998 Plymouth Breeze.He had no brake lights, only the right tail light. The left signal worked and the flasher clicked on and off properly but on the right side only the front signal illuminated but flashed twice as fast as normal which is usually and indicator that a bulb is burnt out or one of the dual filaments broke and is touching the other good one causing it to not work in the rear as well as flash faster in the front on the right side. I went through the whole process that Roland advised you to check. Using my 12 volt test light I tested each wire at the connector and found that my test light worked properly at each connector pin on the harness side of course.Roland mentioned the wire color code above. As i removed each bulb to inspect and then try the different cicuits operation it was crazy lights that were working all of a sudden were not working !!!!! I knew since all my control circuits were working right up to the tail light cicuit boards that the issue or issues lie in the boards themselves or the contact prongs that are on each bulb socket or both for that matter. I also used my 12 volt test light to test the areas on the circuit boards for each light bulb socket contact surface to make sure i had power to the little silver contact areas which is where the bulb socket prongs are to make contact and illuminate which ever light is energized. also check that same contact area on the cicuit boardwhere the bulb socket prongs are suppose to make contact and if they are pushed indented gentle try and lift them up with a needle but becareful it would not take much to ruin them. on last thing make sure when you turn the bulb socket in to the circuit board hole that they are properly seated and tight. I after focusing all my attention on both rear circuit board contact areas where the socket are to make contact so the bulbs illuminate and gently bending the prongs on the sockets up a touch everything came back on board !!!!! :D first time working with rear lights that use this type off floppy cicuit boards to pass current to the bulbs. tyey sell just the cicuit boards for each which come with new bulb sockets as well. check the net or your local parts dealer or auto dismantler for some good used ones> new boards are very inexpensive and I would start there first and even replace them before sending the car to a mechanic.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).