Chrysler Repair/2005 T&C Door Locks will not work

Dave from Nebraska wrote at 2009-10-08 03:16:42
2005 T&C - pulled and replaced the IOD fuse and that fixed the problem - for 2 days.  The problem is back.  I've contacted Chrysler to see what they say.

Hank wrote at 2009-10-22 15:12:58
After 5 years, the power locks on my 2005 Chrysler Town and Country, stopped working. I found this site by googling the problem. I disconnected the positive battery cable, but that didn't work. I had the cable off for only 10 seconds. Maybe insufficient time. I talked to dealer service. They said it might be a fuse. However, there is no fuse labeled as such. The above answer identifed the fuse and the location. This solved my problem and I thank you very much. Makes one wonder what the dealer cost would have been to do the same.

Joe wrote at 2009-11-08 05:06:30
Thans everyone. Pulling the IOD worked brilliantly.  Saved us a trip and who knows how much $.

Thank yoU!

Joe

Louisville Mom wrote at 2010-02-06 22:40:43
UNBELIEVABLE!!  Thank you so much.  Our van has almost 100,000 miles and we were afraid this was going to be an expensive repair.  Unplugged the IOD fuse and it did the trick.  

Scoot wrote at 2010-02-09 18:09:54
05 T&C with same problem. Locks quit working out of the blue.  Pulled IOD fuse and fixed the problem so far.  Thanks for sharing.

anil wrote at 2010-03-21 22:22:39
Worked Like a champion...simple solution (IOD reset..30 Secs) saved time money and peace of mind. Wnderful..thanks

Tinker wrote at 2010-08-25 18:29:49
I have a 2005 Town and Country.  Last year my locks stopped working.  Yesterday I went out to leave for work and my battery was dead.  After work I went to purchased a new battery and now my locks work again!

Big Jim wrote at 2010-09-21 10:52:59
It worked after reading everyone’s advice I putted the IOD fuse cleaned the contracts on the fuse waited approximately 10 minutes. I replaced the fuse and all the locks worked again. Thank you to everyone, dealer had said it would cost $150.00 to $350.00 or more what a relief to find such an easy fix. I just hope it continues to work. 9/21/2010

Dan Tillman wrote at 2011-01-03 17:19:16
Hey guys... I had the same issue with my 2005 Caravan. Pulling the IOD fuse worked for awhile but the issue recurred. I REPLACED the fuse with a new one and the issue has not happened for several months now. Seems to be some manner of impedance issue with the 20 amp fuse. (???) Anyway, replacing the fuse with a new one fixed my power door lock problem.  

Jose wrote at 2011-01-03 22:22:19
I had the same problem today. Found the site and disconnected the battery. Reconnected the battery and everything is fine. Thanks for the help and saving a trip to the dealer, and $$$$$!

Bluecat25 wrote at 2011-02-18 18:40:23
I have been dealing with this problem for 3 years. Recently it has gotten worse and the reset by pulling the fuse quit working. I found a post online about a service bulletin concerning a software update. The number is Service Bulletin 08-040-04. This permanently fixed the problem. When I went in, the service technician told me this update only worked when an alarm went off when you put the tailgate up. I told him to keep reading, it affects the power locks too.  They ended up putting in this update and an additional one to make the remote work. Both updates cost a total of $73. Worth every penny.  

richard j. medeiros sr. wrote at 2011-04-25 00:13:12
thank you that was the problem took IOD 20 amp fuse out waited a few minutes and pluged it back in and it worked.What a relief.

Thank you again

Bob B wrote at 2011-06-30 00:23:26
Pulled the fuse and bingo no more problem.  Happened after I had pushed down on the back door while it was opening after it had been opened with the remote.  Not positive this was a cause and effect scenario - but it was the only unusual thing that I could recall.

HSG wrote at 2012-07-15 11:30:50
My problem first started with passenger side sliding door lock not working.  Then all of sudden all door lock stop working. I took out the IOD fuse and waited for for over 30 seconds. Now all door locks except the passenger side sliding door lock work fine.  Thanks to the Internet. I still need to fix the sliding door lock.  Any suggestions will be welcomed.  

Roush wrote at 2013-01-10 02:26:30
Had the same problem recently with my 2005 T&C. Pulled the IOD fuse, waited and replaced it. Locks are now working fine again. Thanks for the much needed information.  

Bunny wrote at 2014-11-15 20:05:12
Removing the IOD fuse for a few minute worked for me.

jwb wrote at 2015-11-22 18:54:16
The IOD fuse worked and I did not wait any more than 10 seconds before reinstalling the fuse back into the number 14 location.

I had fixed the side door problem about a week ago with the help of website dyi information. Thanks to all for the time to post and troubleshoot your issues.

BCJ wrote at 2016-06-30 03:36:51
The question is, why does the problem occur and reoccur?  I think the BCM is able to sense the amount of current drawn by the door lock actuators, and a surge above a preset level triggers a fault condition. The computer shuts down the system to protect it from damage to the actuators or wiring. Pulling the fuse resets the fault flag--until the next over the limit surge. So what causes too much current to flow when the locks are activated?  My guess is that the lubricants have thickened with age, or the actuators are beginning to wear and operate inefficiently. So people have varying luck with resetting the computer. What to do?  Chrysler has decided that reprogramming the computer to allow for a somewhat higher surge current is the easiest fix. But this is only a delay tactic. The actuators will continue to deteriorate, and the current will continue to rise until it exceeds the new limit. If I am right--and I am only making an educated guess as an electronics technician--the best strategy for those with reoccurring problems is to relubricate (if possible) or replace the lock actuators. I would do it one by one until the problem went away. Start with the driver's door since its actuator gets the most use. After that, it is a crap shoot. Finally, the idea that the fuse labeled IOD has corroded terminals has little merit. If this were the case, the computer would have intermittent power and all hell would break loose. A lot more than the door locks would malfunction.  

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston