Chrysler Repair/T&C power steering pump removal

BillVA wrote at 2013-07-28 03:46:46
I just did a power steering pump R&R (remove and reinstall) on my 1999 Town & Country 3.8L AWD, and I did indeed have to remove the front drive shaft to gain clearance to move the catalytic converter far enough left to access the pump mounting bolts and nuts and to remove the pump through the exhause tunnel.

It's not very difficult to remove the drive shaft. First take a piece of chalk, white tire crayon or a little white paint and mark one location on both flanges of the drive shaft at both the front and rear end of the drive shaft so that it can be reinstalled in precisely the same position as it was before removal. It's possible that the drive shaft has been balanced in that position, so it's a good precaution to take to avoid possible vibration issues.

Next, you'll need a 10mm socket to remove the 6 bolts at each end of the front drive shaft section, and you'll want to disconnect the rear of the drive shaft before the front of it. WARNING - the drive shaft is heavier than it may appear; don't let the drive shaft crash to the ground!

While you have the drive shaft off, you might want to inspect the boot covering the slip joint at the front end. If it's torn but the joint is still packed with grease, you should be able to find a replacement boot to keep water and dirt out of the joint. If it's torn and the joint is dry, you should replace the drive shaft at the earliest opportunity.

Installation is the reverse of removal. In the sequence of events to R&R the power steering pump, the front drive shaft should be the last part reinstalled.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston