Chrysler Repair/1996 Chrysler T&C LXi, 3.8l?vibration/abs issues

TRT wrote at 2014-04-12 23:03:16
I had exactly the same problem described above with my 1996 3.8 Chrysler T/C interesting had two different problems.  First was an out of round tire related to a failed belt.  Put a new set of tires on and that took care of the shaking steering wheel.  However I had exactly the same side to issues at exactly the speeds and torque conditions.  Upon having a helper hold the break and shift into both forward and reverse and bring engine to 1500 rpm I found two issues.  First the passenger side upper motor mount was broken.  It had cracks that were clearly visible in reverse with about 1/16 inch gap.  Also the front center engine mount looked to be almost collapsed.  This car had four mounts and I decided to order three of them that I was able to get from rockauto.com for a total of $77. WOW!  Today I replaced the broken passenger side upper mount and center front mount.  That did it! Problem fixed.  It looks like replacing the rear mount will be more work, but since I purchased one I'm going to replace too in the next few weeks.  If I were you I would have someone do the forward / back with brakes on test and gas to 1500 rpm and watch for engine movement.  You can probably get away with just the passenger side upper and center mounts.  That should do it.  I've owned our 1996 since 1998 and it has 205000 miles on it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston