Chrysler Repair/Problems in rain/code 1294

Question
QUESTION: Hey Roland,
My car is having the following problems in rain. It starts fine, but immediately starts to have a rough/bumpy idle. When in drive, when I press on the gas, the car is VERY sluggish and reluctant to start moving. However, after a certain point the car will surge with power and act relatively normal. This only happens when I'm moving from a stop/slow roll.

ANSWER: What is the year/make/model/engine? If it is post-'96 then go to a nationwide autoparts store and get a free fault code readout (such as Autozone). Get the 4-digit fault code numbers and let me know what they are. If it is only in rain that you have the problem then I would suspect that the ignition wires to the spark plugs are old and 'arcing' across to the engine block. Lood at the engine in the dark on a humid night to see such arcing.
Roland

QUESTION: Chrysler Sebring 99: 2.5L V6. The only code I got was P1924.

ANSWER: Hi James,
The code 1924 is not a valid code number as there is no fault assigned to that number. Might it have been 1294 , which says the idle speed is not being sustained at the target value. Or was if 1492?  Please recheck the number and tell me what it is and ask also for the name of the code.
Roland

QUESTION: 1294-idle target speed not reached. My mistake!

Answer
Hi James,
There are possible causes related to the electircal circuits of the idle speed controller mounted in the throttle body. But I would suggest that you first access the throttle body by removing the air intake tube at the throat. Then open the throttle by rotating the lever attached to the throttle cable and using a solvent clean the entire throat of the body and both sides of the movable throttle plate. Then notice that to the side of throat there is a hole which is the idle air intake port. Use solvent and q-tips (or similar thin cleaning rods) to clean that air passageway of any build up of dirt/scum.
Also check for leaks at either end of the fat hose that connects the intake manifold to the power brake booster can, and also examine all the hoses shown on the underhood sticker which are shown to be connected to the intake manifold to be sure none of those are cracked or disconnected. Clean the positive crankcase ventilation valve (pcv) and check its hoses are connected firmly. These cleanings and vacuum leak checks will often solve an idle problem. Finally, check for arcing of the spark plug wires when it is dark outside and humid.
Ideally all this will improve the idle and low speed acceleration.
I would appreciate it if you would 'rate' this answer (see below).
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston