Chrysler Repair/Serpentine belt comes off in rain

guy patton wrote at 2013-02-08 01:47:13
Before you spend lots of money on grooved belts and pulleys, check the cowl drain tube. The same think happened to me,the belt came off but only in the rain. I have the 3.8L in a 98 Chrysler Town and Country. After of course checking the alignment of the pulleys and the bearings for wear, it still came off occasionally. I noticed once when the engine was idling and I sprayed too much belt dressing on the belt near the tensioner, the belt would float off the tensioner and the belt would come off the pulleys. I knew it had to be water getting in the engine compartment, but could not find it. I finally found a drain tube which directs the water coming down into the cowl vents below the windshield, and it was not in place. If that downspout type rubber tube is not in place, rainwater is allowed to pour right on top of the belt under the hood causing the belt to come off. The drain tube directs the water away from the belts and down through the engine comparment. It was a 1 minute fix, however it took weeks and months to figure it out. Hope this helps before you spend lots of money on grooved pulleys.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).