Chrysler Repair/2004 Pacifica Cylinder Head Removal

QUESTION: I am trying to remove the cylinder heads on an 04 Pacifica 3.5 liter. I have the heads exposed, and all accessories
Off the engine. The head bolts are out, but the head doesn't seem to want to come off. After a closer look
It appears the inner timing cover might need to come off prior to removing the heads, is my suspicion correct or am I missing something?

ANSWER: Hi Larry,
I just checked the manual and there are a long list of thinks that must be done (about 43 steps!) just to take off the right head and about 24 more for the left head. I would like to send you the pages from the manual that list them all along with some figures you will find useful.
To do that, I need to know your email address so I can attach these pages to an email I will send to you directly. I am not shown your email address by Allexperts so you have to ask a private follow-up question to tell me what it is. Don't use the @ symbol but instead us "at" so the program won't automatically erase the address. There are some other pages that are mentioned which if you want those as well just tell me which ones.
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

QUESTION: Thank you so much Roland my address is lpuroll at gmail dot com

I appreciate your fast reply!!

ANSWER: Hi Larry,
I just sent the 8 pages. Thanks for the rating/nomination!

QUESTION: Roland, I scanned the codes and I am getting P0340, would this give an extended crank and loss of power?

Yes, that is the cam shaft position sensor not putting out a good signal and could well explain the performance issue. Check that the retaining bolt is properly torqued (9 foot-pounds) and check the plug/harness connection and the condition of the harness wires as far along as you can. Then see if that solves the problem or not. You can check the output of the sensor to see if it shows pulsing between 5V and 0.3V as you turn the crank by hand with key in the run position. Measure beteen dark blue/gray and dark blue/dark green wires at the sensor (pins 3 vs 2) using fine pins to pierce the wire insulation). Those checks will reveal whether it is the mounting, the wires, or the sensor itself.
Please 'rate' my answer. Thanks,

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).