Chrysler Repair/'91 New Yorker: braking effectiveness reduded because of ABS failure?

I recently disassembled my anti-theft system in my Chrysler, the battery died shortly there after. Two separate events. Upon replacing the battery the car would crank, run for a second and shut off. I came to this site and found the answer to my problem. Roland, your answer to the security module needing the two pins touching and THEN disconnecting the module was spot on!! The car cranked and stayed running with the pins touching, i removed the module and now she runs like a champ! I thank you so much for your expertise! You are awesome! new issue is that my ABS has gone out. I have only found that i will need to take the car to a shop for them to replace this true? Is there anyway that i can fix it myself? I can stop but i have to stand on the brakes...not good..

Hi Samantha,
Thanks so much for your report and kind remarks.
On the brakes, according to claims of the manufacturer the ABS system proper failing is not in any way supposed to impair the braking ability of the vehicle. I would wonder if you might not have a vacuum hose, the fat one that connects the power brake vacuum canister to the intake manifold, that is either leaking vacuum due to a crack or a loose fitting at either end. Try and work toward restoring the braking action, before doing anything about the ABS unit. You can ignore that ABS light, but not the brake warning light if that goes on.
If you you want to diagnose and repair the ABS there is a lengthy section in the '91 manual (25 pages) which I can xerox copy and postal mail to you. It would cost about $3.00 for that and you could mail be back seven 44-cent postal stamps equivalent to that after you got the pages.
Please let me know if this approach, as a start, is helpful.
Please "rate" my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).