Chrysler Repair/'96 Sebring: after pcm replaced it starts then dies in a few seconds.

Original problem was battery lght come on & car wld eventually run dead, to solve, new battery, replaced alternator. car drove fine for about 7mo. then problem returned battery run dead then suddenly last time driving battery ran dead when rechrgd batt, turn key to start nothing at all. so ckd starter, replaced computer module cuz was tol voltage regulator was located there. now car starts but shuts off after 5 sec.

Hi Bnnie Gonia,
Do you have an anti-theft system in this convertible? The "start then stop in a few seconds" is what happens when an anti-theft system was armed but then has not been disarmed. The powertrain control module (pcm or what you called the computer module?) which you replaced has to be made aware of the anti-theft system's telling it that it is OK to allow the engine to run and if that 'handshake' is not recognized then the pcm will do exactly what you describe because it hasn't been given the 'word'.
If your car didn't have an anti-theft system when it was originally sold then a replacement pcm has to come from the same sort of a vehicle. If the pcm donor car had the anti-theft system then its pcm can only be used in a car that also has the anti-theft system. So I would verify this compatibility matter to start with.
When you got the replacement was that issue of whether or not the car has the anti-theft system considered by the person who sold it to you?
If you don't have the anti-theft system and the replacement pcm came from a similar "no anti-theft system vehicle", then we'll consider another approach.
Do you still have the old 'computer'?
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).