Chrysler Repair/overheating

Question
Hi Kevin,

Recently, I had the top radiator hose pop off my 2008 Chrysler Pacifica, 3.8L V-6 engine.  I reinstalled the hose and filled the resevoir until it maintained its proper level.  Although the engine temperature guage does not show the engine as overheating, steam starts to develop from the radiator when the engine reaches operating temperature.  There doesn't appear to be any leaks and the resevoir is still maintaining its proper level. I did notice that the cooling fans are not operating and think that this is the problem.  I put the A/C on to test the fans and they do work.  I'm assuming that the relay is good as a result.  I also scanned for sensor codes thinking that it might have a bad coolant temperature sensor, but showed no fault codes.  I also felt the top hose to determine whether the thermostat was working and the top hose became extremely hot when the thermostat opened.  My question is, could there be air in the system that's causing the fans not to operate and if so, can I bleed the system without having to drain and refill the system (there is no bleed valve on this engine).  Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Vic

Answer
Hi Vic,
My most recent manual is via an on-line source for the '07 Pacifica and that one is a bit less user-friendly than the '06 which I have on a CD. I don't see any basis for believing there is air in the system causing the fans not to operate unless the temp gauge is showing the temp to be remaining low which would explain the lack of fan action. And that could be due to air in the thermostat housing, next to the temp sensor unit. But according to the manual the air should self-bleed out from the recovery bottle after several normal heat-up/cool-down cycles and if so you would notice that because you would need to add coolant to the bottle afterwards.
When you say "steam seems to develop from the radiator" is that coming from the radiator cap (which would suggest that the cap is leaking and not holding pressure) but if not, from where?
I can copy the pages from the '06 manual and attach them to an email I would send to you directly. I would need to know your email address to do that, so if you tell me that in a follow-up question be sure not to use the @ symbol, but instead use "at" or the address will be automatically erased.
I will check the '07 in the meantime to see if it has any other info worth sharing.
Roland
PS Sorry for the delay but I just found your question in the "pool" to which it had been referred by Kevin. If you would be so kind as to 'rate' my answer I would be appreciative.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston