Chrysler Repair/'05 Pacifica Cabin Air Mode Selector

QUESTION: 2005 Pacifica, air flow will not change from dash to floor or defrost.  Fan regulates lo/hi. I have taken the airbag off from under my steering column to see the motors. I move them manually but they always end up back at dash air only. I have checked connectors at blower all appears OK, but don't know if signal is getting from dash selector switch to blower unit.

ANSWER: Hi Chuck,
The first thing to try is a 'calibration' of the unit. The procedure to follow depends upon whether you have the digital readout auto temp unit or the conventional temp unit. So tell me which type you have and then I can tell you specifically how to do that. The procedure will either fix the issue or reveal that there is an issue with the mode door system.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

QUESTION: I have a digital readout auto temp unit.

Hi Chuck,
To initiate the calibration:
Turn the ignition switch to the 'on' position.
Then simultaneously press and hold for 5 seconds both the control POWER button and the RECIRCULATION button then release. The DELAY and RECIRCULATION graphics will begin to flash indicating that the calibration has begun. In about 20 seconds the calibration ends successfully if the flashing stops. Otherwise it keeps flashing indicating that there is a fault code stored in the body computer that needs to be read out for repair information. It will ultimately stop flashing after you have drive 8 miles and/or when the fault has been corrected.
If it appears to be a successful calibration then try the distribution choices and see whether that is now working. If not, let me know and I can tell you wire connections that you can check for continuity. If those are OK then presumably there is a problem with the actuator or the mode door could be stuck/binding up which can be checked by removing the actuator and testing how it moves using a tab similar to that on the actuator to move it by hand. If it moves well. the wires are patent, then presumably the problem is the actuator (but you could do a code readout to corroborate that diagnosis).
But I hope the calibration process will solve the problem for you.
Thanks for the rating and nomination, which you are welcome to do both again if you would care to.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).