Chrysler Repair/Head Gasket leak; 2.4L DOHC

I read the article you emailed me on priming the lifters and I finally did get it started. It runs fine, however I still think the head gasket is leaking, I'm getting a lot of condensation out the exhaust. The head gasket I purchased was a 3 piece design from felpro. Gray gasket material on the sides with a thin piece of stainless metal in between. Do you think it may be my problem? The old one I took out was a solid one piece design. I read that chrysler had to do a redesign on the head gasket as they were having so many problems with blown head gaskets. May I have purchased the wrong one?

Hi Michael,
Why not check at the parts counter of a dealer to see what type they are selling? The only 'fine point' in the manual is that the part number on the gasket should be facing up and of course that the bolts should be checked for thread 'necking' and if found present replaced.
I assume that torqued the bolts to 50 foot-pounds in 3 steps and then gave each bolt an extra 1/4 turn with a conventional handle.
If the leak is small you might want to try using Bar's Leak to seal it.
Thanks for rating/nomination/kind remarks.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).