Chrysler Repair/PT Cruiser:gear shift position lamp replacement

Question
Hello Roland, I own  an 01-02  PT  cruiser and the shift lamp is not working.  How can I replace the lamp since there is no information in my  Haynes  manual?  And  is there anything else wired in the system that might be causing the  problem? Since I mainly drive the PT. It does not bother me, but when the wife may need to drive it she may have  a problem while driving  during when its   dark.   Thank you Jonathan

Answer
Hi Jonathan,
I would suspect the bulb is burned out, it is a T194 bulb. To get to it you remove the set screw on the back side of the gear shift knob and then the know, remove the 4 vertical screws that hold the floor console in position (two at the very rear, two far forward (in front of the opening for the shift lever)), and then it appears that if you pull backward the console will come out of a 'tunnel' into which its nose fits. Than find the socket for the bulb on the underside of the console, twist the socket to release it and then change out the bulb. The bulb circuit is part of the entire dimmable interior lights and so I believe that either the bulb is bad or at worst one of the two wires is disconnected either to a splice or to ground.
Let me know if you find the bulb to not be problem and I can tell you how to trace the 2 wires.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks for doing that.
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston