Chrysler Repair/2.7 sebring in limp mode: codes 0720, 0731

ok, replaced the speed sensor(removed airbox to access and as I looked down it was the one to my right, closer to the driver side wheel, correct?) Anyhow, wasn't sure how to clear the codes so I disconnected the ground and that seemed to do it.  ran it for a while and seemed to clear the code but still down shift hard when I came to a stop and the speedo continued to show 10-15 at a complete stop.  Code and limp mode came on again that night, disconnected the battery again for longer and managed to get home with no issues.  Drove it to work in the am, no hard down shift, no speedo jumping, no CEL ran fine.  tried fwy on the way home, 10 minutes on then off, 3-4 lights later, hard down shift, speedo jumping and went into limp mode again.  
My thought would be replace the input sensor next but would appreciate yours.  One of my associates worked on one that had a solenoid go out, said it sounds pretty similar to the issue that car had.

Thanks again.

Hi Nathan,
The code for the input sensor is 0725 but it not being there doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't bad. It is less expensive than the next step which is the solenoid/pressure switch pack itself. So try the sensor (and check its wiring and the wiring of the output sensor if that wasn't done, because I wonder why the speedo doesn't read zero at stop) and if that doesn't fix then the pack would the next thing to try. If that doesn't do it then it is internal to the trans and needs to be removed.
If you would do another rating, and this time add a 'nomination', I would be most appreciative.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).