Chrysler Repair/2.7 sebring in limp mode: codes 0720, 0731

Question
regarding the sebring in limp mode and erratic.  codes are 0720 and 0731

Answer
Hi Nathan,
The first code says there is a disagreement between the rotational speed of the input sensor and the output sensor of the transmission, while the second code points more directly at the output speed sensor being inconsistent. On that basis I would begin by replacing the output speed sensor, after first examining the plug that is attached to it and tracing along the wires that connect the plug to the transmission control module as far as you can (until they disappear into a fatter harness).
If you find nothing suspicious from that visual check out then I would buy a new output sensor, remove the plug, unscrew the old sensor and replace it with the new sensor. It is located on the side of the transmission which faces the front of the car, way at the far end of it.
There are two sensors on the trans, one near the bell housing close to the engine (which is the input speed sensor) and this one at the very rear, both at about the midline. So look for the two sensors and focus on the output sensor or its wiring as the source of your problem. The sensor is screwed in to about the same torque as a spark plug (20 foot pounds, not super-tightly). Because of space limitations at the far end of the transmission you probably will find it easier to handle the sensor and its wiring if you first jack up the driver side front wheel and then go at it from under the car, but first identify it by looking at the input and output sensor from the top side.
I would very much appreciate your doing the rating and nomination which I mentioned in answering your initial question.
Thank you,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston