Chrysler Repair/2000 Chrysler Cirrus LXi accelerator problems

hi there and thank you - my accelerator got stuck last night on my 2000 chrysler cirrus LXi as I was driving on the freeway, I got off the freeway onto a side street turned off the car, turned it back on and it revved up to 3 on the tachometer and wouldn't go down.  It is towed to a local auto repair.  My questions are:  is it a simple line replacement (my guess) or does this involve electronics?  The car has over 150K miles but runs great.  thank you.

Hi Maria,
I would believe that it involves purely mechanical binding at the pedal, the cable/sheath between the pedal and the throttle body valve, or the throttle body 'butterfly' valve shaft. Ideally just locating and lubricating the spot will do the trick. Let me know if you are told something major it involved and I can evaluate that. There is no electronic issue involved if it revs that high. There is an automatic idle speed control on the throttle body that is electric but I doubt that would ever rev the engine that high. None of these should be major costs.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).