Chrysler Repair/P0172 code 2003 dodge caravan

Hi Roland, it's been a while.  Engine smells a little rich when started.  If I'm idling at a traffic light and put my foot down to go, it takes a second or so before I pick up enough revs to move.  So far I haven't done or tested anything other than check all my vacuum system and wiring to sensors.  They all appear to be in relatively good shape.  No burning or breaks anywhere.

Hi Leigh,
That code says the fuel/air ratio on the right side cylinder bank is too rich. The items that are candidates for the cause are: heated oxygen sensor on the right side exhaust manifold having a wiring problem or function issue (it has fragile wires), throttle position sensor wiring, map sensor operation, engine coolant temp sensor problem, evap purge solenoid problem, engine mechanical problem, fuel pressure/regulator high. I would inspect each of those in that order.
Let me know what you find. Also tell me which engine (L) you have.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).