Chrysler Repair/security alarm reset: '98 T & C

QUESTION: I have a '98 Chrysler Town n Country. I am "in the alarmed state and the key lock/unlock doesn't clear it", so I would like to know how to do the clearing procedure using a resistor to simulate the action. The key does not have a chip inside of it.

ANSWER: Hi Burt,
There is a white/dark green wire that comes out of the door at the driver side hinge that is at pin 11 of a black 14-pin disconnect that you can separate there, which then goes to pin 45 at one of the two plugs at the body control module under the dash to the rear of the fuse box lower edge. At either of those locations, the resistor sizes you need to simulate a lock/unlock are 4020 ohms and 665 ohms respectively (or values close to those numbers). Touch the other end of each resistor to a shiny metal ground surface nearby and that should do a disarm. Then never use the power door locks, door key, or remote when closing up the van, just use the mechanical push buttons. You may find that white/dark green wire is broken at the hinge so that might be a fix. On the passenger side the color is white/light green and is at pin 4 of a similar disconnect and at pin 55 of the bcm.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

QUESTION: Thanks again for this valuable info. In an effort to cover the bases, what about the automatic lock system when the vehicle reaches a certain speed, and can the 2 sliding & rear lift doors also be included in having the same possible faulty wire situation?

The door lock motors also are wired through the hinge disconnects, but by different colored wires. If all the motors don't work then the door lock relay, unlock relay, or the circuit that activates those relays would be suspect. A faulty wire is the possible explanation. There is a hard-wired fuse like device in position 3 of the 10-position row in the fuse box under the dash, just below the 4 large plugs, that powers the door locking motors.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).