Chrysler Repair/1998 Erratic running

Hi Roland-
    I have a 1998 Chrysler Cirrus LXI 2.5L with about 160,00 miles. Car is acting like misfiring/ running out of gas.  Sometimes will just shut of like key was turned off, but will restart.  Sometimes will run roughly.  Check engine light has been on ever since bought car used. Initially took car to Advance Auto to get code pulled, but scanner wouldn't read code. Drove car a few more weeks, problem got worse, took to Autozone to see if they could pull code and were able to(retrieved code for faulty EGR). Replaced EGR and cleared code by disconnecting battery.  Was good for 2 days then same problems.  Took back to Autozone because CEL on again, but THEY could not pull code.  Got frustrated and installed new distributor(with cam sensor,coil,cap and rotor) and new crank sensor. Cleared CEL and still same problem. CEL back on but can't get readers to pull codes.
    I am guessing that power is being lost intermittently to the Code Reader connector. No blown fuses. Maybe loose/corroded wire. Someone told me they thought cigarette lighter is on same circuit and this isn't working either.  Is it possible I am looking at a faulty PCM? Can you or anyone tell me where I can get a wiring schematic that shows the connector and which pin is power source?  I have looked in Haynes manual but do not see it.
    Possible that faulty PCM is causing erratic behavior?  Any help/ insight would be greatly appreciated - thanks!!

Hi Mike,
The 12v power on the data link connector is at pin 16 coming on a pink wire that gets the supply from fuse 5 which is a fuse that gives power for all sorts of things that still work when the engine in not running (called the ignition off draw fuse). If you have power on the pin then check that pins 5 is showing 0 ohm to ground as that is the grounding pin. Any shiny metal structural surface would be 'grounded'. If that chacks out then look over the egr's vacuum-operated control device (called the 'transducer') for possible vacuum hose leaks or a wiring problem to it.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).