Chrysler Repair/'92 A-604 transmission: limp mode/debris in pan

Hello Roland,
My 1992 LeBaron started going into limp mode and I decided to change fluid and filter to eliminate that much. About 2 weeks after changing fluid the transmission suddenly was operating perfectly. A month later, same problem. I dropped the pan and found a clump of 1/16" to 1/8" aluminum pieces near the right rear corner of the pan. Had they been stuck and broken loose
or is there another reason?

Hi Dave,
I haven't personal experience with 'debris' in the trans oil pan. However the manual has a general statement that if you find it then that points toward removal and rebuilding of the unit. There is no quantity specified as to what is minimal vs. what points toward a rebuild. The debris may have interfered with the valve body function. The valve body would be well to clean, but removing it has to be done with care because with trans installed in the vehicle and you are working from underneath,  when you remove it there are associated parts that will come loose and then have to be properly replaced back in above the body when you put the valve body back. For that reason I would be hesitant to remove the valve body from underneath.
Maybe the first thing to do, if you put it back together, is a fault code readout via the blue Chrysler data link connector under the left end of the dash near the fuse box. You have to get a plug-in readout from that connector to get to the memory of the trans controller (either with a Chrysler DRB II or similar Snap-on scanner/reader; the blue connector has 6 pins arranged 2 x 3 in a rectangle). The fault codes are 2-digit, similar to that of the engine's, so you don't want to use the other diagnostic plug for that purpose in the engine compartment. Depending upon the code, we may find what specifically misbehaved to cause the limp mode and thus where to try to clean out any debris. You didn't mention the mileage but the A-604 generally won't go too far past 150-200K miles, and debris is a sign of parts wearing out.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).