Chrysler Repair/'94 Chrysler LHS

The heater will not get warm. The heat gauge comes up after a few minutes. The ATC system trouble code is 31 (ATC recirculation door stall failure).  Where is this door? Can I manually close it so the heater works. Shop repair may cost me more than the car is worth?

Hi Ken,
The recirculation door actuator is on the right hand end of the HVAC housing very close to the right side 'kick' panel. It either works or doesn't and there is no 'feedback' circuit that automatically adjusts it. You remove either the floor console of the center lower cover of the instrument panel (depends upon model). Then the lower instrument panel assembly has to be removed (a 13-step process which I would need to copy and postal mail to you. That gives you access to the area but still you have to remove the body control module which is hidden behing the cloth of the kick panel.  
I wonder though it the lack of heat is due to the recirc door not working. That would make a bit of dirreence were it open instead of closed, but absolutely no heat is unlikely. I would suspect rather that the flow of coolant through the heater core is obstructed. Once the car is warmed up touch the two HVAC hoses that go from the engine compartment to the HVAC and note whether they are of similar temp or not. If not. then you would want to disconnect the hoses and backflush the heater core to improve the coolant flow.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).