Chrysler Repair/'94 Chrysler LHS

Question
The heater will not get warm. The heat gauge comes up after a few minutes. The ATC system trouble code is 31 (ATC recirculation door stall failure).  Where is this door? Can I manually close it so the heater works. Shop repair may cost me more than the car is worth?

Answer
Hi Ken,
The recirculation door actuator is on the right hand end of the HVAC housing very close to the right side 'kick' panel. It either works or doesn't and there is no 'feedback' circuit that automatically adjusts it. You remove either the floor console of the center lower cover of the instrument panel (depends upon model). Then the lower instrument panel assembly has to be removed (a 13-step process which I would need to copy and postal mail to you. That gives you access to the area but still you have to remove the body control module which is hidden behing the cloth of the kick panel.  
I wonder though it the lack of heat is due to the recirc door not working. That would make a bit of dirreence were it open instead of closed, but absolutely no heat is unlikely. I would suspect rather that the flow of coolant through the heater core is obstructed. Once the car is warmed up touch the two HVAC hoses that go from the engine compartment to the HVAC and note whether they are of similar temp or not. If not. then you would want to disconnect the hoses and backflush the heater core to improve the coolant flow.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.
Thanks,
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston