Chrysler Repair/'99 PT Cruiser: codes 0731, 0733

I have a 99 pt cruzer will not shift out of 1st   codes 700  731    733 show     aby ideas

Hi Dennis,
Those codes say that there is an incorrect ratio between the output and input speed sensors of the transmission in 1st and 3rd gears. There is a long list of possible causes, but they group into 2 'fixes'. The least expensive is to replace the solenoid/pressure switch assembly which is on the outside of the transmission and is a quick job, mainly the cost is for the assembly because individual parts are not sold for it. I would start there. If that doesn't fix it then the transmission has to be removed and internal repairs done.
Let me know if you want to do the assembly replacement yourself and I can tell you the steps.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).