Chrysler Repair/Electrical: Radio/Sunroof: '06 Town and Country

Name: Seth David Rubenstein
Subject: Electrical: Radio/Sunroof
Greetings - We have a 2006 Town & Country and we're experiencing some electrical issues (not sure if they might be related. First we noticed the radio went dead, next the sunroof - but we don't know if they went out at the same time, since we haven't used the sunroof in a while (winter). We took it to the dealer who just called to tell us it'll be 200+ dollars just to try and find out what's wrong... Frankly, we just don't know if we can trust the service department and I'd rather pay a good local expert with high integrity to diagnose and repair it. Can you help us? Who should we contact - phone number, etc.? Thanks so much!

Hi Seth,
Those two items the are 'out' share one thing in common, the 'accessory relay' located in the power box under the hood (2nd relay, inboard side of the box, just behind the starter motor relay) powers both.
That relay also powers the power windows and the rear wiper. So check those other items and if they too are 'out' then I would suggest that you replace that relay. If those are OK then I would check fuse #5 and #11 that are just to the rear of the accessory relay to be sure those are not blown or have a subtle crack in their wires. The relay gets the power it sends out directly off the battery so that the relay and those 2 fuses are the primary suspects.
Both items share a common grounding point by the left rear corner of the van just in front of the lift gate opening, so that is another possibility of that being loose (it is needed for the sunroof and the radio amp located at the rear if you have the deluxe radio).
So I would encourage you to look at the main power box under the hood and check out what I described rather than to go to any shop.
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).