Chrysler Repair/Warning chime on a 1989 Chrysler Lebaron Convervible

The Lebaron Car Club suggested I reach out to you. I replaced the door switch by the hinge on the driver's door. Now every time I open the door, the chime goes off. I do not have any accessories on, nor is the key in the ignition. Ok, I go to investigate. On the driver's door switch I replaced, there are two wires, one yellow, and one black with a purple stripe. I go to the passenger's door and I find only a yellow wire. I took apart the panel and found no loose wires. Shouldn't there be two wires like the driver's side? I have gotten conflicting answers from local auto shops. I did not get an owner's manual with this car and I am learning about this car as I go. I am comparing it to  my 1990 Dodge Daytona, but I am finding some things are not exactly the same. Can you help? Thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Cheryl,
Looking into the '89 LeBaron wiring diagrams, and I find there is the extra wire on the driver's side which goes to the headlamp switch and which has the purpose of warning the driver that your headlamps are 'on' when you open the door. The warning chime that is sounding in my experience with my '89 coupe is also to warn you that you have left your key in the igntion switch. One possibility would be that the switch associated with the ignition key lock is stuck in the position suggesting that the key is still in the lock cylinder when it isn't. That chime also sounds if you have headlamps 'on' when you open the door. So either one of those warning circuits could also be out of adjustment or electrically in error.
May I ask why you changed out the door hinge switch on the driver's side to begin with?
Please read the PS below and respond to it.

QUESTION: I changed it out because it was rusted and old. This car sat and has a few electrical quirks, so I am gradually replacing things. It looks to me that a few things were rigged as well.Trying to get everything in working order again. Will probably be working on the speedo/odo in the spring to get that working again too.

Given that history, I believe you will need to do some testing of the wiring to determine exactly what is causing the false chiming. It is likely either the key-in switch being stuck closed or the headlight switch similarly for that partuclar sub-circuit. When you want to go at it with a contrinuity check I can tell you what wires to check. Probably the circuits that are activated by the switch you replaced weren't connected any longer by the switch so that is why you discovered the issue when you put in a new switch.
If you would do a rating and nomination I would be most appreciative.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).