Chrysler Repair/'00 dodge intreped airbag problem

2000 dodge intreped has an air bag light on. the car appears too have been wrecked dash is cracked and a few other obvious signs of damage the air bag appears too be replaced. my question is where do i start too track the problem down too get the light off.

Hi Dink,
Because the warning light is 'on' it means there is a fault that has been detected with the system and a fault code number is stored in the restraint control module. You may get the code using the ignition key:"on-off-on-off-on and leave on" doing that in 5 seconds or less elapsed time. Then watch the odometer window of the cluster to see if mileage reading disappears and in its place any 4 digit numbers preceded by a P or a B appear. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.
If that doesn't work, the a readout using a plug-in code reader will be needed. A nationwide autoparts store, such as Autozone, will often do that for free, or an independent shop will do it for  around $40.
Either way let me know the number(s).
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).