Chrysler Repair/'02 T & C: no blower/turn signals, wipers on all the time

my 2002 chrysler town and country's heater blower, directionals do not work and wipers stay on even when the car is off. before that happend there was a burning smell. i have not encountered this before. also there were no fuses tripped thank you for your time

Hi James,
I don't see a connection between the blower and the wiper/directionals. The blower needs fuse 10 in the power box in the engine compartment to work, so chect to see whether that is blown. On the wipers/directionals, those both are controlled by the multi-function switch so I would be inclined to check that out for possibly having a short circuit for the wipers and an open circuit for the directionals. Remove the screwa on the underside of the steering column just forward of the steering wheel so as to then remove the shrouds that are above and below that section of the column. Notice that the mulifunction switch plug has only 4 wires and notice the numbering on the plug itself. Then measure the resistance or continuity between pins 2 and 3 of the switch socket to see if when you try the left or right turn position you get and mearueable resistance or is it infinite just the way as it should be when neither directional is chosen If there is no mearureable resistance then the switch has failed.
Similarly mearure between pins 3 and 4 of the socket to see if when you have wipers in the 'off' position is there infinite resistance or some measureable resistance? Let me know the results of these tests. The wiper power relays are always provided with 12v even when the key is 'off'. The issue is how are they being activated (via the bcm or via the multifunction switch). The bcm is under the dash at the left hand end.
When you smelled something burning did it seem to come from the steering column or from under the dash at the left hand end?
Please 'rate' my answer (see below).

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).