Chrysler Repair/'07 Sebring: Engine replacement "saga"/ boondoggle?

Question
I have a 07 chrysler sebring its a 2.4 motor..ok it was running good but the motor started knocking so we bought a used motor,put it in,now my car wont start but the motor will turn over if you short it out,we also bought a computer for it(mainbrain)well its sitting at the dodge place now and they are saying we need to replace the wiringharness,pcm,something in the transmission,but how can this even be cause before we put the other motor in every thing worked..can you please give me some advise,i don't have any body else to help me and I'm only on disability,and my only car with 3 kids...an its a sedan..

Answer
Hi Christy,
The details about exactly what was the cause of the knocking (purely mechanical or possibly with any involvement of the the electrical system?), from whom did you buy the used motor, who installed the used motor, did the motor ever run after it was installed, who recommended and installed the 'brain', and when did the Dodge place get involved in the process?...all are relevant to giving an opinion. If the procsess began and continues at the Dodge place then I believe you have a basis for a claim against them.
The 'brain' as I would understand it is in fact the pcm so why does that have to be replaced, twice if even once?
The wiring harness: where was that found to be damaged and when in this long process Presumably it wasn't damaged when the knock began evident so someone must have damaged it in the repair process and should take responsibility for that damage.
The transmission was working when the knock was discovered, so what is wrong with it now, and when did that damage come to light?
I would want satisfactory answers to all those questions and stop paying for anything until you get those answers. If satisfactory answers are not forthcoming then I would request reimbursement from whichever mechanic/shop appears to be responsible and if necessary seek repayment via small claims court.
This smells like a 'boondoggle' being undertaken by a shop(s).
Roland

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston