Chrysler Repair/2005 Sebring: driver window won't go up

QUESTION: The drivers window goes down but doesn't go up. then sometimes after a while it will then go up. when it did it about six months ago my uncle put it up using a battery and some leads but alas he is not around so I need to figure out which wires run the motor I see blue and white attached to the motor but don't want to short anything out. is there a constant wire and the blue or white determine up or down?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,
Because you didn't say whether this is a Sebring sedan, convertible, or 2-door coupe, I can't tell you the details for certain. But the motor wires are correctly light blue and white.
The master window switch is a double throw/double pole type.
Basically, when the master is in neutral position both the wires are supposed to be grounded (connected to the - post of the battery or any chassis metal object, ulitimately). Then when you request down the white wire is connected to 12v, while the light blue wire remains grounded. And when you request up the situation is reversed and the light blue wire is connected to 12v and the white wire is supposed to be grounded. The reversal of the current flow thus reveses the motor direction.
My belief is that the white wire pole inside the switch is not cleanly grounded so that is why it won't go up OR the blue wire pole inside the switch is not cleanly connected to 12v when you ask for up. You could verify which is the problem by measure for voltage/continuity to ground (resistance reading) but the bottom line would be to spray some electrical contact cleaner inside the switch for the driver window actuation via a seam or crack in the switch body. Then see if that has improved the electrical contact of those two poles inside the master switch.
If that doesn't work, tell me which body style you have of Sebring and I wlll see if some other part of the circuit would be where the problem exists. But the motor is working, it just doesn't have current from the master switch in the 'up' request position.
Please 'rate' my answer (see PS below).

QUESTION: It is a 4 door sedan.

Then the issue is likely as I described it to be: a poor contact inside the switch for the driver window actuation. So try the contact cleaner in-spray and if that doesn't improve things then I would believe a new switch would be needed.
Please 'rate' my answer.

Chrysler Repair

Roland Finston

Free fast answer to your repair question about a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth car, minivan, SUV, or truck. Problems with electronically controlled engines and transmissions as well as body wiring problems are my specialty. This free troubleshoot advice forum helps you diagnose faults, minimize repair costs or do-it-yourself.

I answer questions seven days a week and respond to you in about 30 minutes. "Maxed Out" means I am answering another question, briefly unavailable, or asleep overnight, so try again later.

I have do-it-yourself experience (50+ years) and a library of 100 1982-2011 Chrysler factory shop manuals and 20 multi-manual Chrysler Corp. CD's.

I was voted "Top Expert" 2010-2015, here at AllExperts, and have answered 20,000+ questions.

Five decades as a 'do-it-yourselfer' on domestic and imported cars.

Yahoo Autos Group called The Chrysler Lebaron Club (co-moderator)

Advanced degrees in Physics/bruised knuckles

"Top expert" of 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 here at Allexperts. Quickest "average response time" at Allexperts (currently no. 1).